Sunday, September 6, 2009

Day 1 of thinking about revising my novel

Hello and welcome to the blog I have created to stay motivated to revise my 400 page novel over the next 12 months!  Here's a very brief backstory on how I arrived at this point:  I've wanted to be a writer since I was 5 years old and did a retelling of Snow White in orange crayon.  Fast forward 26 years (and past several graduate degrees in professions that involved writing, but not novel writing) when I suddenly found myself laid off and with a lot of time on my hands.  My husband and I began spending more and more time in our upstate NY fixer-upper and less and less time in the city, and I found myself becoming very inspired by the rolling hills and old farmhouses and steeple churches all around.  My imagination led me back in time to the 1920s and "The Whitaker Boys" was born.  I wrote diligently from February to June of this year, and then sent my work off to my very literate friends, who have begun giving me constructive feedback.  While the book seems to be a crowd-pleaser, there's no getting around the inevitable - it still needs a lot of work.  And while I felt relatively comfortable with the writing process, having gone through it 2x now (I wrote my first - unpublished - novella the year before this one, while I was still working fulltime), I have yet to attempt a rewrite.  And I'll be perfectly honest with you ... I find the thought of the whole thing more than a little daunting.  That's why I'm starting this blog ... so I have an outlet for my frustrations, because I'm sure there will be many, and maybe, just maybe, someone out there will be going through the same thing, and can offer me words of wisdom and encouragement (and hopefully I can do the same!)  So stay tuned as I start pacing myself for one of the more strenuous mental marathons I have engaged in to date! ...

No comments:

Post a Comment